STUFFED 4EARTH FARMS ZUCCHINI
WITH TOMATO SALSA
Prep Time: 30 Minutes | Cook Time: 40 Minutes | Ready In: 2 Hours 10 Minutes | Servings: 6
- 6 small zucchini
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups soft bread crumbs
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 large tomatoes - peeled, seeded and chopped
- 5 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- salt and pepper to taste
1. To make the tomato salsa in a small bowl combine tomatoes, 3 tablespoons of basil, oil, 1 tablespoon of parsley, orange peel, lemon peel, 1/2 of the garlic, and salt and pepper to taste. Mix well and set aside for 1 hour at room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Lightly grease a 9x13 inch baking dish.
3. Cut the stem ends off of zucchini and slice a thin layer off the tops, lengthwise. If necessary, trim the bottoms so that the zucchini stand level; reserve trimmings. Scoop out the flesh, leaving 1/4 inch thick shells. Chop the reserved trimmings and flesh coarsely.
4. In a large saucepan of boiling, salted water, cook the shells for 2 minutes. Drain and rinse in cold water; drain on paper towels.
5. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat; saute chopped zucchini for 5 minutes or until tender. Stir in remaining parsley, basil and garlic; cook for 1 minute. Transfer to a medium bowl and stir in bread crumbs and egg. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Pour chicken stock over zucchini.
6. Cover and bake in preheated oven for 25 to 30 minutes, or until tender. Serve with the tomato salsa.